Cautions, Contra-Indications, Considerations
Prior to confirming your space in ceremony, please thoroughly read through the following details and agreements. By confirming your space in ceremony, it’s understood that you’ve read the important information below, acknowledging and honouring all contraindications, cautions, preparation details and ceremonial agreements.
Deep thanks and appreciation for your respect towards this work.
WHO CAN’T TAKE KAMBO:
While Kambo is safe when responsibly administered by an experienced practitioner, there are a number of people with contraindications that aren’t suited to safely work with Kambo.
- People who are under 18 years of age
- People who have serious heart problems (bypass, enlarged heart, heart valve replacement)
- People who have pacemakers
- People who have had a stroke
- People who are taking medication for low blood pressure
- People who have had a brain haemorrhage
- People who have aneurysms or blood clots
- People who lack the mental capacity to make their own decision to take Kambo
- People who have serious mental health problems (excluding depression, PTSD and anxiety)
- People who are undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- People who are taking immune-suppressants for organ transplant
- People with Addison’s disease
- People with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- People with current and severe epilepsy
- People who are recovering from a major surgical procedure within 8 weeks
- Women who are pregnant or suspect they may be so
- Women who are breastfeeding babies under the age of 6 months old
- People who have worked with Bufo Alvarius (toad medicine) in the last 6-8 weeks prior to Kambo
This is not a complete comprehensive list. If you have any concerns or serious health issues, it’s important to disclose these prior to treatment to ensure that Kambo is safe for you to work with.
CAUTIONS & CONSIDERATIONS
Caution is required in the following cases.
It’s important to disclose any of these prior to treatment:
- People taking slimming, serotonin and/or sleeping supplements
- People taking immune-suppressants for auto-immune disorders.
- People with active drug or alcohol addictions.
- People who have been fasting/water-fasting for 7 days before Kambo.
- People who have had enemas, colonics, liver flushes or any water-based detox 3 days before taking Kambo.
- If you’re taking or have recently stopped taking any medications.
- If you’re taking or have recently stopped taking any diet/slimming pills.
- If you’re regularly taking anti-diuretic medication or sports drinks.
- If you have ever been, or are currently bulimic or anorexic.
- If you’re epileptic.
- If you have abnormally high or low blood pressure.
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have any chronic or serious health issues.
- If you have diabetes.
Regarding the practical aspects:
- Do not attempt any sort of water or dry fast 7 days before/after Kambo.
- Do not begin any colonics, enemas, water based detox, liver flushes, or sweat lodge 3 days before/after Kambo.
- Do not take recreational drugs or drink alcohol 48 hours before/after Kambo.
- Do not eat any food 8-12 hours before Kambo. It’s important to fast for this length of time immediately prior to a Kambo treatment.
- Try to make little to no plans for the remainder of your day after your treatment. You may need to rest and recuperate.
- Remove tight, restrictive jewellery prior to your Kambo treatment.
- Do not drink coffee on the morning of your treatment.
- You may drink tea up to 2 hours prior to your treatment, however do not add honey to your tea.
- Do not drink large amounts of fluid on the morning of your Kambo treatment, only enough to stay hydrated.
Please keep in mind that these strict guidelines around water consumption are to keep you safe from extreme electrolyte imbalance, potentially leading to hyponatremia: dangerously low sodium levels.
if you are unsure about any of the preparation protocols, or have questions or concerns, please get in touch and ask prior to ceremony.